Caution to Hunters and those who walk their dogs through bush areas!

13 months ago

Please keep your dog(s) away from areas with Bush Nettle as it is highly toxic.

On the 31st of March 2018, we had two dogs hospitalised after running through the nettle after a pig. They started vomiting and having diarrhoea and were very lethargic.

We are glad to say both have recovered after treatment, but it can be fatal and dogs can deteriorate suddenly.

Two dogs sadly passed away in 2015 after a severe anaphylactic reaction and we see several cases each year.

The species common in the Otago area is called Ongaonga and can grow up to 2m, it is often found in bushy areas.

What will you see if your dog has been poisoned?
Muscle trembling, stiff limbs, vomiting, diarrhoea, difficulty breathing and lethargy.
Immediate veterinary treatment is needed, even if your dog is not displaying all of these symptoms the poisoning can worsen and be fatal. You need to be cautious yourself too as the poison affects humans also.

Call 03 489 5540 if you suspect your dog has been poisoned.